Closed Thread

Default Critique of Ibn Taymiya's main arguments against Mantiq

Here's a very concise piece I came across which will relieve us from a couple of hours of talking about these things in class. Simply download the document and read it all in one sitting.

The attached document is a portion translated from a larger book entitled Tad'eem al-Mantiq. It's a good start for students a little confused about the controversy surrounding the study of Logic.

In the larger book, the author addresses all the points made by Hafidh Ibn Taymiya and others who held the same position. The entire book can be downloaded from:

http://www.al-razi.net/website/PDF/Mantiq.pdf

In any case, I'm not planning on getting into the details of these critiques anymore. Hopefully, this short 10 page document will prove helpful.
    Attached Files
    Learn Arabic - Large and ever-growing repository of tutorials on the Arabic language اللغة العربية.. Updated regularly!

If you need to contact me for anything, please email. Please do not private message me on the forum. I'm no longer checking private messages regularly. jazakallah khairan

Yes, JazaakAllah the small document was beneficial. It's good to know why some might think the study of the principles of logic might not be a beneficial undertaking and better still to understand why they are wrong in their thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Yusuf Mullan View Post
    The attached document is a portion translated from a larger book entitled Tad'eem al-Mantiq. It's a good start for students a little confused about the controversy surrounding the study of Logic.

In the larger book, the author addresses all the points made by Hafidh Ibn Taymiya and others who held the same position. The entire book can be downloaded from:

http://www.al-razi.net/website/PDF/Mantiq.pdf
    Salam mawlana sahb,

Can you please upload the razi.net pdf (if its different to the marifah.net one).

(maybe straight from shariahprogram database - with compliments to razi...)

JazakALLAH khayr.

ma'a salaama

OK, I see the link is no longer active. It's the entire book in Arabic, from which the marifah.net one is just 10 pages. Let me upload it to our server and paste the link.

http://www.shariahprogram.ca/media/Mantiq.pdf
    Learn Arabic - Large and ever-growing repository of tutorials on the Arabic language اللغة العربية.. Updated regularly!

If you need to contact me for anything, please email. Please do not private message me on the forum. I'm no longer checking private messages regularly. jazakallah khairan

Quote Originally Posted by ayesha_114 View Post
    Yes, JazaakAllah the small document was beneficial. It's good to know why some might think the study of the principles of logic might not be a beneficial undertaking and better still to understand why they are wrong in their thinking.
    Please note that Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullah) in all his works critiquing mantiq (logic) is actually refuting "formal logic" or "Greek logic" not logic itself! The article which translated Ibn Taymiyyah's words itself testifies to this: "then it is known by necessity from the religion of Islam that Allah has not obligated upon the people of knowledge and faith that they learn Greek logic." Who is Said Foudah to "critique" Shaykh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah. Just the fact that Yusuf Mullan attached such a document alone shows what manhaj he is upon.

JKHair for the book.

Question: If Mantiq is so important, why did the Sahab not teach it to their students? Why did the Sahaba not use it to study the names and attributes of Allah SWT?

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/88184/philosophy
    http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/13473/philosophy

An interesting historical fact: The first to study Kalam were the Mutazilah and the Jahmiyah.

Imam Abu Hanifah when he met Jahm ibn Safwaan said, “ two evils have come to you from the east: those who deny the Attributes of Allaah and those who anthropomorphize His Attributes.”

Imaam al-Shafi: “My ruling on the people of kalaam is that they should be beaten with date-palms and shoes, and then be taken around to the cities and villages and [a crier] proclaim: This is the punishment for someone who leaves the Qur’aan and Sunnah and turns to kalaam.”

Imam al-Shaafa’i said: The people did not become ignorant and begin to differ until they abandoned Arabic terminology and adopted the terminology of Aristotle.

Imam Al-Juwayni, teacher of Imam Ghazaalee, told his students: “O my companions! Don’t waste your time with kalaam. For if I only knew that kalaam would get to [the situation] I am in now, I would never have spent time on it.” [From al-Qurtubi’s Sharh of Sahih Muslim]

Imam Ghazaalee write in the IHyaa’ [1/33]: “TawHeed has now become the manufacturing of kalaam and the art of arguing. And the people of kalaam are called ‘The People of TawHeed.’ Yet, everything that is specific to this science was completely unknown in the early era [of Islaam] – in fact, they were extremely critical of those who opened the door of argumentation and disputes.

Al-Qadi Abu Yusuf: “Whoever tries to gain knowledge of the religion through kalaam will become a heretic”
    Last edited by Tawoos; 08-14-2011 at 05:19 AM.
    http://kalamuallah.wordpress.com/
    http://birkah.wordpress.com/

Jazakallaahu khayran for this!

I see both of you are registered students.

This topic is taught deep in the 2nd year. The very teaching of it is preceded by a detailed 14 page document I wrote and I require 2nd year students about to study the topic that they read my 14 page introduction first and confirm. That is I don't begin teaching until they've done this.

I can go on for hours and hours refuting every objection against the "science of mantiq" raised by Imam Ibn Taymiyah and the small minority of classical scholars that spoke ill against it. They are mistaken in this issue. the vast majority of scholars over the centuries have attached importance to studying the methods of proper rational thought. These methods are intuitively true (anyways)..

It takes an extensive 14 week study of the topic to really appreciate both sides of it.

You're now studying Sarf and Nahw. That's why I don't feel there's need to even speek on this topic until you're at the proper level.

Right now I don't have much time for this.

Closing this thread.