+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

This is actually quite complicated. Al-Jawziyya is the name of a school his father was an attendant (qayyim) at.

The idhaafah of qayyim toward the school is what we read in HN as idhaafah lafdhiyyah. It does not give benefit of ta'reef or takhsees. Therefore adding the "Al' to the word qayyim in this case is valid. The translation is:

Son of the one who took care of Al-Jawziyya!

Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Learn Arabic - Large and ever-growing repository of tutorials on the Arabic language اللغة العربية.. Updated regularly!

If you need to contact me for anything, please email. Please do not private message me on the forum. I'm no longer checking private messages regularly. jazakallah khairan

Alhumdulillah..MashaAllah

I thought it was (a)

Yes. (a) is the correct answer. The Wikipedia page explains the part about his father looking after the school. They got it wrong in the title of the page though. Should be:

Ibn Al-Qayyim Al-Jawziyya
    Learn Arabic - Large and ever-growing repository of tutorials on the Arabic language اللغة العربية.. Updated regularly!

If you need to contact me for anything, please email. Please do not private message me on the forum. I'm no longer checking private messages regularly. jazakallah khairan

So is (c) also correct then?

(c) would work gramatically, if the idhafah is taken to be ma'nawiyya ('s type true idhafah).

First year students probably would not understand what we're talking about here.

Is (c) also possible though? I ran a google search and turned up a lot of instances of it spelled like that, even in Arabic pages:
    e.g.
    http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/ابن_قيم_الجوزية
    صفحة: ابن قيم الجوزية

I also don't completely understand why this is idhaafah lafdhiyyah? Here are my notes from that section of HN, but I guess I have to think about what they're saying a bit more to understand...

----

And know that idhaafah can occur upon two types: true and spoken.
    * "spoken" -- don't have meaning of ownership/possession

As for the true (ma'nawiyyah), it is for the mudhaaf to be a non-adjective mudhaaf towards its governed one. And it will either be in the meaning of "laam" such as..., or in the meaning of "min" such as ... "a ring of silver", or in the meaning of "fee" such as ... "prayer of [in] the night". And the benefit of this idhaafah is to make the mudhaaf definite if it is made mudhaaf towards a word that is definite as has passed, or to specify it if it is made mudhaaf towards an indefinite, such as ...
    * i.e. dealing with two nouns
    * specify = i.e. narrow it down

And as for the spoken one, it is for the mudhaaf to be an adjective mudhaaf towards its governed one.
    * 'sifah' -- not literally "adjective" as in English, but term includes 4 categories: ism faa'il, ism maf'ool, sifah mushabbah, ism tafdheel
    * happens when 'sifah' followed by noun and the noun is supposed to be governed one of the 'sifah'... e.g. "Zayd, his face is beautiful"
    <<<LISTEN>>>
    * e.g. ana aktubu risaalatan ; or ana kaatibu risaalatan --> sifah governing a noun because in the meaning of the verb.
    * usually verb governs noun; now we see some types of isms that also can govern nouns

And it is in the assumption of separation, such as dhaaribu zaydin (dhaaribun zaydan) and hasanul-wajhi and its benefit is abbreviation in the word only.
    * i.e. no meaning attributed to it... only benefit is in abbreviation of words. Because dropping a tanween and pronoun. e.g. Zaydun hasanun wajhuhu <==> Zaydun hasanul-wajhi.

True: caretaker of Al-Jawziyya. The word qayyim in this case is NOT a sifah. Qayyim here is ma'rifah and adding "Al" would be wrong. Ths would be (c), and it is correct grammatically.

Spoken: the one who looks after Al-jawziyya. Here Al-Jawziyya is the maf'ul bihi (governed one) of qayyim. Since by virtue of the idhafah it is not ma'rifah, adding "Al" to the beginning is appropriate.

Jazaakumullaah, I think I understand better now.

So what type of an ism is the word Qayyim?
    Is it siffa mushabbaha?

Seems like the base letters are qaaf waw meem, is that right?

Sifah Mushabbaha wouldn't have a maf'ul bihi. This would need to be an exaggerated form of faa'il. Seeqhatul Mubalagha

Seems like the base letters are qaaf waw meem, is that right?
    Correct.